Wednesday, November 11, 2015

So You Think You Can Pitch / Virtual Hitman wins at VAFF

This weekend I was lucky enough to make it to the Final 4 of ReelAsian Film Festival's So You Think You Can Pitch 2015. Myself, Kristina Esposito, and Phil Borg entered a short I recently penned called The Magpie Bridge.  
While we didn't win this competition, the experience (and, runner up prizes!) were absolutely worth it.

As someone who does a lot better writing out her thoughts than making them into "mouth words," (referenceget?)  I was both terrified and grateful to go onstage and pitch my film. It's funny, because people often assume I'd be great at public speaking, given that I'm an actor. But I think, like many artists, my immunity to nerves lasts only as long as I am playing someone else. Being myself onstage is terrifying, and I commend anyone who does it on a regular basis. Congrats to the well-deserving winners, Nicole Chung, and Philip Leung! Phil, especially, is a writer I admire. If you have a chance to see any of his films, I highly recommend you do.

In other news, Virtual Hitman won Best Canadian Short at Vancouver Asian Film Festival. Phil was able to go there and pick up the award in person! So proud of this film that was done in conjunction with ACTRA Toronto's YEAA Shorts. It's funny, touching, silly, and sentimental all at once. Plus, it was my first time working with Simon Sinn where he wasn't trying to kidnap me, or force me to destroy the world. So there's that!

As of now, I am prepping to host a panel of emerging female artists.  I've decided that, rather than a live panel, we would reach out to internet communities and provide an anonymous way for people to ask female industry members questions about their experiences. The panel is being shot tomorrow by my good friend, the wonderful Nic Kleiman. I will have it uploaded as soon as possible! Til then, I wish you all the best! Happy orbiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment